UNIX & Teradata SQL ETL consultant
We have an opportunity for a strong UNIX, Teradata SQL position located in the South West. The person should have designed and implemented complex ETL architecture based upon UNIX and ANSI SQL, be technically versatile and should be able to provide technical expertise to a team in support of operational and project activities related to the business systems. It is also important that the person can work within a multi-disciplined team, have good interpersonal skills and can demonstrate flexibility. The person must be capable of applying innovative approaches to solving design and technical issues in a Data Warehousing environment. The existing ETL is a mixture of UNIX/SQL scripts and Oracle Data Integrator (ODI), so familiarity with ODI would be a definite advantage.
This person will need to be capable of working with functional and technical project managers, and Cognos and Teradata architects to determine the appropriate set-up, configuration, documentation and support processes required to extend an existing data warehousing environment based on Teradata.
• Design and implement the ETL architecture based upon UNIX and Teradata SQL.
• Participate in the full lifecycle of ETL software development - analysis, design, build, documentation and testing.
• Work with the both project and support teams to understand existing systems and to help troubleshoot, optimize, migrate and tune ETL processes as needed.
• Collaborate with project managers, analysts, technical leads, business partners and developers throughout the SDLC.
• Create and execute unit tests on all solutions, working with QA team to ensure product and integrations tests are complete.
• Work with the release manager, support team and technical writers to ensure solutions are well tested, production ready and well documented
• Understand and apply basic database administration, management and performance tuning techniques
• Research solutions to various business and technical problems, evaluate alternatives and be able to present recommendations and justifications to management.
• Document best practice development standards and help transfer knowledge to the development and support teams.
Skills and Experience
• 7+ years of UNIX scripting and ANSI SQL, preferably Teradata SQL, in a large scale Data Warehousing environment.
• Design and implementation experience of UNIX / SQL based ETL on at least 2 large projects.
• Hands on experience with Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) and IBM Cognos tool will be an added advantage.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills along with attention to detail and thoroughness.
• Strong teamwork and communication skills.